Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Harney Lane: Love, Laughter, Family, Wine



A couple times a week I receive wine sample invitations from various PR firms. I reply to the requests, and within a week or so, the wines are delivered to my house. When I received the Harney Lane shipment, I was struck by the personal touch. In addition to the wines and tech sheets, I received a handwritten note (on Harney Lane stationary) and a business card from a Harney Lane employee.

THIS is the Lodi spirit.

A wine region with generations of winegrowing history, and a focus on family farming. According to the Harney Lane website “we have been proud stewards of the land since 1907, farming vineyards on Harney Lane and surrounding areas for over 5 generations.” And in 2006 they entered the winemaking side to make wine under the Harney Lane label. Lodi, including Harney Lane, is steeped in tradition and authenticity. I felt that firsthand on my first trip to Lodi in 2016. Read more HERE

Wines tasted in this shipment:

Harney Lane 2017 Chardonnay
Winery Tasting Notes: Bright fruit aromas of apple, ripe pear, and white peach are followed by toasted nuts and butterscotch, laced with honeysuckle. The 2017 vintage showcases the Lodi appellation with a classic mix of lively fruit, nutty spice, and creamy richness.
My Notes: A creamy, rich, and smooth Chardonnay expression. This wine coats my mouth, yet leaves me wanting more. Medium plus body and flavor intensity. Beautiful and elegant. Showcases precision and balance.

Harney Lane Old Vine Zinfandel 2015 Lizzy James Vineyard
Winery Tasting Notes: A rich compilation of concentrated blackberry compote, dried fruit, floral perfume, black spices, cinnamon, maple and bread pudding. Voluptuous, bold, and full-bodied.
My Notes: Deep, ripe black fruit abounds (got prunes?). This is the Lodi Zin I want to present to someone who self-professes to not like Lodi Zin. The varietal and the Lodi terroir are showcased here. A deep dark Zinfandel, yet with acidity retained to allow the fruit to take center stage. No flabbiness here. Tasting this wine will erase any memory of a mass produced Calfornia red.





No comments:

Post a Comment